This May 13-20 and/or June 10-17, host families are needed for campus ministry student leaders from across the country who will be coming to Bellingham for the Student Institute of Campus Ministry (SICM), hosted by Campus Christian Fellowship. Please see the info sheet below for more information, or visit the SICM website (choose “Host” and then “Sign Up”) to learn more and to register as a host family. Thanks for considering supporting this vital ministry!
We will take time to pray for this issue during our service on Sunday, 3/12, but wanted to get this time-sensitive information out as soon as possible.
International Christian ministries in India face growing pressure from a nationalist government suspicious of the influence of “foreign religion.” Since the new government took power in 2014, over 10,000 nongovernmental organizations providing foreign aid to India have had their operating licenses revoked. The most recent casualty of this battle is the Christian charity Compassion International, which has been prevented from distributing funds to its affiliates in India for months now. Compassion will close its doors in India on March 15th absent any change in government policy. In the world of private foreign aid, Compassion is a giant, providing close to $50 million annually to India in support of children’s nutrition, health and education. 145,000 children receive services through Compassion affiliates in India, which has operated in the country for 48 years.
What you can do:
· PRAY – Ask for God’s grace and provision for these children and their families, as a tremendous source of support is cut off. Pray as well for Compassion and the many other Christian charity organizations which are seeking ways to continue ministering to India’s most vulnerable in an increasingly hostile environment.
· ADVOCATE – Compassion is asking for Americans to write their senators and representatives to raise awareness of this issue and to encourage them to petition India’s government for a temporary reprieve from the funding restrictions. (It only takes a minute to fill out the online form using the above link and register your petition with your legislators).
February 19th from 11:00-11:30 AM in Classroom B
**** Note that this is a make-up meeting for those who weren't able to attend our meeting on January 29th. If you came to the earlier meeting there's no need to come again! ****
This June, BCC has the privilege of serving at the Lummi Reservation by helping to staff and support the Lummi Bible Camp from June 22-25.
This is a camp for 7-12 year-olds which has been held for a number of years each June on the reservation. The camp hosts between 30 and 60 youth each year.
We hope to gather a team of 8-12 adults and perhaps as many as 6 children (who could participate in the camp alongside the Lummi youth). Consider attending the interest meeting if you have:
- An interest in working at the Lummi Reservation or…
- A heart for involvement missions or…
- Children in the age range of the camp’s participants or…
- Experience working with youth
We will have an informational meeting for anyone interested on Sunday, February 19th during our Life Together time (11:00-11:30).
Please contact Steven Shetterly (email@example.com) with any questions.
These are some of the questions that the fascinating documentary Between a Shoe and the Roof explores. Join us for a screening of this hour-long film and a time of sharing and discussion facilitated by Dr. Rhonda McEwen (a visiting scholar at Regent College) and Steven Shetterly (BCC’s Local and Global Outreach Director).
When: Sunday, January 22nd from 12:15 to 2:45
Where: BCC Dining Room (located between the kitchen and the multipurpose room) ** Lunch will be provided **
What: Documentary film screening and discussion time.
Who: Anyone interested in culture, Christianity, outreach, theology and the way they interact.
Why: To help equip yourself and our church to live for Christ in an increasingly multicultural world, and to explore the ways in which culture shapes our thinking and practice as Christians.